Just Call Me Mama

Welcome to my blog and the inner-workings of my brain. This is my method of coping with my life: the losses, the joys and my struggle back to being a writer. You'll find my most private thoughts as well as my most recent attempts at writing again. Enjoy and feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Prayers for Elisa

As J and I were walking around downtown Portland, laughing and joking about how terrible I was feeling and how much of a relief it is, my phone rings. Expecting to see one of a few numbers appear on the caller ID, I was suprised to see Elisa's name. She never calls. We always email or write cards. It became apparent imediately by the tone of her voice that something was wrong. My heart broke as she explained that she couldn't talk to anyone, but knew she could talk to me because of what I'd been through.

She proceeded to explain that she had just left the ER because she started bleeding and she is 8 weeks pregnant. She got no help from her dr's office, so she went to the ER. Despite seeing a strong heart beat of 157, she was diagnosed with a hemmoraged placenta. She's terrified. The only relief I could offer her was Carrie's story. The sadness and fright in her voice made me want to cry. Elisa's tough. She's always the one who can handle anything.

It's amazing to me how easily we forget how fragile life is. So many people take their "luck" for granted. I know that statistically it is in the favor of people who get pregnant easily, have no issues during pregnancy and give birth with no major complications. However, the process is so incredibly complicated and miraculous - it is forgotten how many opportunities there are for things to go wrong.

I am not begrudging anyone who has had this fortune. While I will spend (hopefully) the next 34 weeks worrying, I do value my perspective and am grateful for my enhanced understanding and appreciation for this gift.



**********************
Me update-

I have had an increased amount of morning sickness. Yesterday was a much worse day than I'd had in a while (YAY, YAY). I'm still getting really dark lines on the pg tests I'm taking. I'm back to being exhausted too.

1 Comments:

Blogger S said...

I will be praying for your friend, Elisa. What a scary time for her! I am glad that your friendship is strong enough for her to lean on you!

Speaking of you, I am glad that the morning sickness is continuing to give you some reassurance!

Love ya! Sheri

1:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home