Just Call Me Mama

Welcome to my blog and the inner-workings of my brain. This is my method of coping with my life: the losses, the joys and my struggle back to being a writer. You'll find my most private thoughts as well as my most recent attempts at writing again. Enjoy and feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Ambition vs. Faith (written while sitting in traffic)

In a discussion last week with two very devout Catholics, I once again found myself wondering if I am one of the only Christians out there who stops to think and analyze the religious beliefs and doctrines of Christianity. Maybe it is my English and Literature background, but I have a hard time looking at any piece of literature at ONLY face value, which is what I feel many of these “blind believers” do. The Bible is so intricately laced with symbolism that I can’t but help to look at it through many lenses. I can’t imagine that God provided us with this level of intellect to have us not examine, scrutinize, and analyze the text that serves as the moral framework for our Christian society.

I read a novel for my class called “Hope in the Unseen.” It is the story of a young black high school student and his struggles to acquire a “good education” despite being top of his class. The book also dealt with his growth into and eventually out of his religious beliefs.

At one point his pastor was teaching that people who work hard and believed that was the way to escape their current situations – one riddled with poverty, substance abuse, and violence – were straying from God’s path. He taught that they should put all their faith into the Lord and he will provide for them.

This is directly opposed to my own philosophy on religion. Ironically it is taken from Greek Mythology and not any kind of monotheistic religion. There is a quote in the Odyssey where Athena turns to Telemacus, Odysseus’ son, as he leaves to search for his father. “The gods will not do what man can do for himself.” (or something close to that)

I also live in a manner in which I will never say, “I’m a victim.” I believe there is a very large difference between trusting in God to guide our paths - including our owndecision-making, based on the Christian values we are to live by- and rationalizing our lives and mistakes as “God’s lessons”.

So which philosophy is correct? If I work hard, follow my Christian values, and serve others through the gifts I have been given, couldn’t that be considered following God’s plan?

So why do so many Christians feel they have to sit back and wait for God’s plan to take them somewhere? If I know that my Christian values tell me that I should help others, why should I sit and wait for the current to take me in some unknown direction? Why shouldn’t I continue to reach out to my students? I firmly believe that I belong in my classroom, in my inner-city school, to teach these kids lessons in many areas of life. I didn’t accidentally end up here! I got here through hard work and a driven path of my life. Couldn’t God’s will be less mystical, but embedded into the person I am and the values I hold, thus influencing my decisions?

I guess I just strongly disagree with the mentality of taking a passive life. A friend of mine is constantly dismissing her own ambition, saying if it’s supposed to be God will make it possible. She says this, as she does nothing to help herself toward that end.

I compare this to the idea of getting pregnant. Even if it is God’s plan, I can’t get pregnant without doing my part.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home