Just Call Me Mama

Welcome to my blog and the inner-workings of my brain. This is my method of coping with my life: the losses, the joys and my struggle back to being a writer. You'll find my most private thoughts as well as my most recent attempts at writing again. Enjoy and feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Friday, January 27, 2006

The Burden of a Name

I always thought it would be so much fun to choose my children's names. There is a lot of stress associated with it. I think that is why J and I have avoided any real discussion of names.

We have a few that we have shot down, but most of them were shot down last time or very early.

Jeremy liked Peter William. I shot that one down. Why? Because if you say Peter Everitt fast, it sounds like Peter Rabbit.

I liked Garrett William, but J said there was no way we would have a Garrett (bad student I'm guessing). Next I liked Benjamin Scott. Another one shot down because there have been so many rowdy, obnoxious, button-pushing Benjamins he's known. I also liked Alissa Mae. He vetoed that one because of the double vowel thing (ending in a and last name starting with E).

So now, we're at a stand still. No more names that I like and J seems to be a bit useless for coming up with any. We have no decent family names to choose from and have taught way too many kids.

I went through one entire book and came up with nothing. What if we can't come up with anything before this baby is born?

Having 6 years of teaching behind me, I also have to say that I am amazed at how there are trends between personalities and names. Now, this isn't meant to offend anyone, so please don't take this badly. I'll even start with my nephew.

Tyler: All Tylers I know are head strong, great athletes, but kind of pains in the butt
Alex (males): Terrors. Nice enough, but a bit on the devious side
Zach: The clown, needs to be the center of attention, a bit on the obnoxious side
Brittany: Ditsy, overyly girly.

This isn't always true because some names are just overly used: Ashley, John, Kyle, Andrew, Sarah, etc.

Oh, my! What ever are we going to name our poor child!?!?!?!

1 Comments:

Blogger S said...

Shawn and I each vito-ed so many names we almost were going to call Adam Vito LOL It is a hard decision for sure! Just don't go for Peter Rabbit ... uhm ... I mean Peter Everitt LOL I totally said it aloud too and you are right LOL

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home