Just Call Me Mama

Welcome to my blog and the inner-workings of my brain. This is my method of coping with my life: the losses, the joys and my struggle back to being a writer. You'll find my most private thoughts as well as my most recent attempts at writing again. Enjoy and feel free to share your thoughts with me.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Work Situation

I'm technically a contract worker for the state. It's a year to year thing. I've made a lot of friends this year and have proven my worth to them. When asked to do something, I do it immediately and to my own perfectionist standards. Since I don't have other duties at work other than what they give me, I can be pretty efficient and with a short turn around, unlike all the "employees" that I work with for they have many jobs and duties.

Also, despite my age (although I look far younger than I am), I have no problems or hesitations with telling older people what they are doing wrong and how to fix it - in a nice way of course! So, people are anxious to work with me because I take initiative and many of them feel like they have a second "lead" on the trip instead of the others who wait to be told what to do.

So, I guess there was an extensive discussion about me and my contract for next year. They director wanted to know if they could put out a different contract for me and have me be a lead and actually one of the main organizers of this program. This is a huge compliment to me and would be a huge help to my direct boss who has to do all of this herself now, on top of all of the duties she had before they gave her this job too.

After much discussion, it was decided that, no I shouldn't be a lead, but could handle all the responsibility of organizing the program. The only reason they decided against it was because "I'm too young and district superintendents would 'eat me alive."

First of all, I'd like to add one comment: I'd like to see them try to "eat me alive!" I'd think that after this long of working with me, they'd know that I don't back down. This was my gut reaction when I was told this. I was furious! Did they really think I couldn't handle myself? Had I not proven to them how I deal with people?

Then I cooled off and thought about it.

I know it is technically age discrimination, but ego aside, I can't say that I disagree with them. It's not that I'm only 30 and dealing with people in their (s0me 40s) mostly 50s to 60s, but I look young. I think many people look at me and think that I'm a teen parent. I dress very professionally, but in the end, I still look very young. So, I can't say that I blame them... no matter how much I want to.

Is it age discrimination, though? I've met the type of people they are talking about and I understand completely. There are some amazing people out there - some real pieces of work. I don't think it really is discrimination though. It was something new they were going to try for me. They aren't going to offer it to anyone else, because there isn't anyone else they would feel good about doing it. I'm just a contractor, so it's not like they are refusing me for a promotion or anything, it would just be a different contract for next year.

I'm not really mad about it. Okay, a little ego-wise and because I would really love to have the increase in stature, so to speak, in the job. (I think I now understand how important it is to have the opportunity to move up in jobs and have promotions. I never understood before when I was teaching because there was no where to go without leaving the classroom.)

Plus I know that next year is going to be a challenge anyway, so I don't need more work, responsibility, and accountability.

The ego boost would have been nice, but it was really nice to even be considered.

1 Comments:

Blogger MarlaQuack said...

Nice Blog. About the work thing, I think you should be very thankful that they have your back. You said you have a young child and you are pregnant. Be thankful for all the headaches that they are saving you. You have many years left to get that promotion. Kids grow up so fast, take this time to be there for them.

Marla

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home